Sunday, July 15, 2012

"The only cop I'm use to seeing in the morning is Inspector Gadget."


                
                 Recently the unmistakable sounds of twin super horsepower diesel outboards came to an idle next to us.  I had just poured the last of the coffee, and wasn't ready for visitors just yet.  The sight that greeted me jolted me awake more than the Java.  A large bald Patrol man, wearing police issue aviator sunglasses, was tying his boat off on our port side.  "Great", I thought, "The only cop I like to see in the morning is Inspector Gadget."

                   I know my second thought should have been check the four F's; Floatation devices, flares, fire extinguishers, and feces (a.k.a Poop Tank).  What I really was thinking was, "Damn he's going to come on board, and I haven't had a chance to clean up yet ."  My guy was thinking of all the horror stories we've heard about boats being ransacked by patrols on power trips.

                   His fist action was to call in our tag numbers, then ask for registration and ID.  We gave him the proper papers, he radio it in, and looked us up and down like he was trying to be intimidating.  The call came back that our papers checked out.  I think he was a little disappointed because he never left his boat, just asked to see a couple life jackets and fire extinguishers.  I could tell he wasn't really paying attention at that point, the life jacket I held up was for a little kid!  He gave  us back our papers and an inspection slip, then instructed us to tell any patrols in the future that we were cleared by the "...Big Bald Man."  After he left we just looked at each other quizzically for a minute, and went back to our coffee without worry cause we  cleared by,"..THE BIG BALD MAN!"

1 comment:

  1. Big time LOLs! Love this story! I want to be cleared by the "Big Bald Man" now, so I'll have no worries... :)

    ReplyDelete